diumenge, 9 de desembre del 2012

Jiaying Li-Beijing’s Historic Qianmen Neighborhood rebuild



Recently, we visited some reconstruction projects in this course. It is very pity I don’t understand Spanish, so I couldn’t know what kind of attitude does Spanish government hold when a new t neighborhood reconstruction project start? How the construction funds collected, what’s kind of role or part as a Spanish architect in the whole complex process. I just evaluate everything by my view as a deaf person; it is like the movie lost in Tokyo. The way Spanish architects treat material and the relationship with old building, existing region is very inspiration. Especially, when I visit some reconstruction buildings for public libraries and kindergarten, In China, I look forward we could have more reconstruction buildings for public service for daily life rather than commercial shopping center and art show. Sometimes I always ask myself, how to treat my attitude as a designer. Right now I will pay more attention on the whole processing (be controlled or affected by client and government, be controlled or affected with existing city life) happened with a new building or new reconstruction rather than design or building object itself. I used to participate Qianmen Street and East Area Protection reconstruction design as an architect in a Chinese design company. Qianmen, which means "front gate" in Chinese, is one of the top destinations for tourists in the capital.

Sitting on the south side of Tiananmen Square, it was once an important commercial area just outside the main city walls, selling everything from Chinese medicine to bolts of silk.
It was a very important project at that time before Olympic game, so the government paid more attention on it, as designer what we could do is play in the intensive rule. We need to preserved new façade for the old architectural styles on the main street,With its traditional shop fronts, it looks like it did 100 years ago.We tried to analysis the existing scale in Hutong and courtyard, and combination new function inside; we also used some abandoned old bricks for new façade design. But after rebuild this neighborhood, I asked myself if it is better or worse? It is very interesting to see architect façade drawings transfer into bounding walls in the construction field.



In 2008, I walked along the "modesty" wall surrounding the ruins of Qianmen Avenue and hutong. The rebuilding of Qianmen has required thousands of people to move and dozens of businesses to close. There are still a few poor die-hards who refuse to move. They couldn’t afford money to move and they lingered about the old neighborhood in this region. I don’t know if there are other better ways to treated urban rebuild and expanding.